Leupe Catalogue (NA): Situatie-plan des Kasteels en der Stad Malacca, ter order van de H.H. Vaillant, Ver-Huell en Graevesteyn, Commissarissen-Militair enz.
Notes on reverse: Malakka door Reimer [in pencil]/596 [stamped in bold on a small label] / No. 1.
Apologies for defacing this beautiful map, we wanted to show that the orange line is the old Jalan Bunga Raya, the blue line is a partial Jalan Temenggong, and the red line is the northern Lorong Bukit Cina joining Jalan Bukit Cina.
By this time, Jalan Kee Ann and Jalan Jawa is added to the infrastructure in Kampung Jawa. At the bend of Jalan Kee Ann is a structure for a cinema. See our Cultural Map of the area to view what it is right now.
Along Jalan Bunga Raya is a structure marked a mosque. This could be the current location of the Madrasah Assayyid Abdul Aziz Makkdan,
Off Jalan Bunga Raya is a lane leading to “The Anglow Theater Hall”. Could this be the current site of Ibis Hotel?
But, the largest structure marked is the proposed extension of the Melaka railway cutting across Jalan Kee Ann, north of Jalan Jawa, and Jalan Bunga Raya. If that plan came into fruition, Bukit Cina now could have been developed into a different town.
By 1850, we have the first clue that Mill Road was the former name of Jalan Temenggong. The entire Jalan Bukit Cina and Lorong Bukit Cina was then referred to as Lorong Bukit Cina. So, besides the word Kampung (or Kampong), Lorong was adopted by the British.
At the junction of Mill Road and Bunga Raya Road is a marker for Market, this is not Little India.
At the east end of Lorong Bukit Cina is a marker for a Police Station. This site is contested by Encik Mokhtar bin Haji Ali. At the end of that road on the hill is marked “Old Military Well” which is now considered as Hang Li Po’s Well.
By 1936, Bukit Cina area is now further developed into what we recognized today.
The proposed railway line is no longer feasible.
A public market is established in Kampung Jawa where a mall now stands. Newcome Road was Jalan Munshi Abdullah, however only half way up to Jalan Bunga Raya.
Jalan Bendahara was built under the name of Wolferstan Road. Mill Road is extended into Eagerton Road, combined we now call Jalan Temenggong.
In 1962, Jalan Munshi Abdullah (formerly Newcome Road) extended to Jalan Bendahara (Wolferstan Road). However, there is a proposed land marked to extend this road through to the trunk road to the South of the country.
Also note that Lorong Bukit Cina is already divided to Lorong Bukit Cina and Jalan Bukit Cina (Bukit Cina Road).
The Military Well is now the site of a Chinese Temple. The General Market in Kampung Jawa is now named Municipal General Market
By 1980, all the names are Malaysianised to what we recognise to what it is today, except for a couple of roundabouts.
If you have more stories to add, please visit our Cultural Map of Bukit Cina and click on the particular area you want to contribute.